It’s the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day. With the corona virus still keeping us indoors, it seems the earth itself is healing too. Here are some great food-for-thought quotes about our relationship to Earth.
“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.” Mahatma Gandhi
- “Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky.”
- “Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.”
- “Find your place on the planet. Dig in, and take responsibility from there.”
- “It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn’t feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.”
- “Water and air, the two essential fluids on which all life depends, have become global garbage cans.”
- “We don’t inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”
- We knew that man’s heart, away from nature, becomes hard.”
- “We are all butterflies. Earth is our chrysalis.” LeeAnn Taylor
- “Someday, I hope that we will all be patriots of our planet and not just of our respective nations.”
- “What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn
And tied her with fences and dragged her down”
- “If you really want to remedy the earth, we have to mend mankind. And to unite mankind, we heal the Earth. That is the only way. Mother Earth will exist with or without us.” Suzy Kassem
- “Life is a dance between heaven and earth, the ebb and flow of life.”
- “The planet was being destroyed by manufacturing processes, and what was being manufactured was lousy, by and large.”
- “Earth is a small town with many neighborhoods in a very big universe.” Ron Garan
- “Deep under our feet the Earth holds its molten breath, while the bones of countless generations watch us and wait.”
- “When you look more generally at life on Earth, you find that it is all the same kind of life. There are not many different kinds; there’s only one kind. It uses about fifty fundamental biological building blocks, organic molecules.”
- “We’re reaching the point where the Earth will have to end the burden we’ve placed on her, if we don’t lift the burden ourselves.”
- To define perpetual growth on a finite planet as the sole measure of economic well-being is to engage in a form of slow collective suicide. To deny or exclude from the calculus of governance and economy the costs of violating the biological support systems of life is the logic of delusion.”
- “From the Moon’s surface, the Earth is but a tiny, blue teardrop in the inky blackness of space.”
Happy Earth Day!